Friday, June 7, 2013

Hot Summer Reads

Every since I can remember, creating a summer reading list has been among my favorite traditions.

As a kid I tended go a little overboard and even start collecting titles mid-January. While the longest list most of my friends kept were for the big red guy in December, I saved my excitement for when I would have an three-whole long summer months to read whatever I wanted.

Ever since stumbling on a sight called GoodReads.com,  compiling a list that has the perfect mixture of pool side chic lit and Austen satisfying descriptions has been made much, much easier.

Good Reads is amazing because it's basically exactly like Facebook, but for books. Each book has its' own profile where you can add it to your already read ("friend"), To-read ("like") of any other bookshelf category you want to create. For book-crazed fans it's like Facebook Stalking, taken to the greatest and best possible level.

Take a look at a few of my to-read books for this summer!



Title: The Group
Author: Mary McCarthy

I've been told it's like Sex and the City, just set in the 1930's! Follows the lives of a clique of friends who went to Vassar College who have to transition into the working world in New York City. Yes, yes & yes! 



Title: One True Thing
Author: Anna Quindlen

I had to get this book for the sole reason that Anna Quindlen is one of my favorite essayists. She has a quote that I have on a sticky note in my room, that says, "The one thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself." This book is based on a mother-daughter relationship. The daughter puts her career on hold in order to care for her mother who was diagnosed with cancer. It reveals that the notions she held about her parents as a child, weren't what they seemed. 



Title: A Total Waste of Makeup
Author: Kim Gruenenfelder

Definitely classified as a pool-read. Charlie has a pretty great life in Los Angeles with an awesome house, job and friends. One thing that isn't so awesome is that she's 30, single and the maid of honor at her younger sister's wedding. Looks like a fun and quick, laugh-out-loud read! 


Title: No Angel
Author: Penny Vincenzi

For those who love tackling a thick novel, this is the book for you! British Housekeeping wrote, "an absorbing page-turner, packed wtih believable characters and satisfyingly extreme villians, eccentrics, and manipulators." 


Title: Where We Belong
Author: Emily Giffin

After falling in love with Giffin's 2008 novel, Love The One You're With I have tried to stay current with her newest books. This one was released last summer and while I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet it's going to be a pool bag necessity!  


Title: A Wrinkle in Time
Author: Madeline L'Engle

Throwback! Who didn't read this as a kid? If you haven't revisited some of your childhood favorites in a while I highly recommend it. Each summer my list has at least one or two, last summer it was The BFG and this summer I decided to travel through the tesseract with Meg, Charles Wallace and Calvin O'Keefe! 


What are some of your picks for summer must-reads? 

No comments:

Post a Comment